The Democracy Fund is seeking motivated In-House Counsel/Civil Liberties Lawyers to join a new and growing legal team in Toronto. Several positions may be filled.
The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial work ethic, 5+ (post call) years of demonstrated litigation experience, and a passion for civil liberties advocacy. The successful candidates will constantly be scanning the news and thinking, "how can we use the law to preserve our liberties?"
- Provide legal advice and strategic counsel within a broad scope of legal areas, including, constitutional, civil liberties, regulatory, administrative, and contract.
- Respond quickly to legal crises, including rapid drafting and filing of lawsuits, complaints and demand letters.
- Help manage civil liberties projects like www.FightTheFines.com and www.FightVaccinePassports.com.
- Work closely with junior legal counsel.
- Litigate in person and via Zoom.
- Appear with media partners to explain legal issues to Canadians.
- Member in good standing with the law society
- Minimum 5+ years (post call) of demonstrated litigation experience
- Excellent analytical, drafting, communication, and negotiation skills
- Preference is given to candidates who can work out of our Toronto office
$100,000 - $125,000 per year. The successful candidates would report to TDF’s volunteer board.