The Democracy Fund is seeking a Litigation Director to join a new and growing legal team in Toronto.
The ideal candidates will have an entrepreneurial work ethic, 8+ (post call) years of demonstrated litigation experience, and a passion for civil liberties advocacy. The successful candidate will be a collaborative leader who can handle complex legal issues.
• Applies sound judgement and adopts a strategic approach to legal advice.
• Oversee litigation and emerging claims.
• Provide legal advice and strategic counsel within a broad scope of legal areas, including, constitutional, civil liberties, regulatory, administrative, and contract.
• Respond quickly to legal crises, including rapid drafting and filing of lawsuits, complaints and demand letters.
• Actively directs legal counsel on a day-to-day basis, including direct management of in-house legal counsel.
• Directs the activities of external counsel in multiple jurisdictions where required and maximizes the value of external legal spending.
• Help manage civil liberties projects like www.FightTheFines.com and www.FightVaccinePassports.com.
• Appear with media partners to explain legal issues to Canadians.
• Member in good standing with the law society.
• Minimum 8+ years (post call) of demonstrated litigation experience.
• Strong leadership and organizational skills and ability to work in a constantly changing and fast paced environment.
• Preference is given to candidates who can work out of our Toronto office.
$200,000 - $250,000 per year. The successful candidates would report to TDF’s volunteer board.