The Democracy Fund (TDF) is a charity striving to advance and maintain constitutional rights in Canada, advance education through journalism placement programs, and to relieve poverty.
The ideal candidate for the role of Communications Manager and Writer will have a minimum of five years’ experience in corporate communications, journalism, marketing, public and/or media relations and will have a diploma, degree or equivalent in either communications, marketing, public relations, or journalism.
- Write copy for website, emails, press releases, articles, brochures, annual reports, proposals, event marketing material, eblasts, newsletters, social media posts, comments, campaigns, etc.
- Work closely with Operations and Event Managers to create concise messaging that aligns with TDF’s brand and mandate, and ensure messaging is available and consistent across all available platforms (digital and print)
- Edit, proofread and coach to achieve excellence on materials written by other TDF team members
- Provide communications and media relations support to the TDF team
- A diploma, degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, marketing or public/media relations
- Minimum five years experience in corporate communications, marketing and/or public/media relations
- Experience working within the nonprofit sector, preferably for a small to medium size firm
- Experience in effective digital and/or print communications, social media, analytics and SEO
- Extremely strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, and the ability to engage a varying demographic
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, multitask and to adapt to rapidly shifting priorities
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows, Office, Adobe Acrobat, MailChimp or ConstantContact, and social media platforms
- Basic understanding of event coordination
- Ability to be a self-starter in the role and work under minimal supervision
- Candidates capable of working from our Toronto office will also be granted priority, but working remotely is an option as well
Type: Full-time (Monday-Friday), occasional remote weekend work